Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Trials of a Dog Bite

It finally happened. On a cool beautiful fall morning I was walking to my Kyrgyz teacher's house to finally have a lesson. I had searched high and low for a teacher and patiently tried to deal with the frustrationg thing called Kyrgyz time. Finally a date and time were made. So that Monday morning i set out for the lesson. I arrive and the gates open- which means cone on in. So I do. I walk into the house, look around, walk around the yard no one is there. I sit outside on the bench for about 10 minutes to wait. I thought maybe she was at a neighbors or somewhere else and came in the back. I walk once more into the house area, look around and see no one and turn to leave. I get around the corner when suddenly I feel something at the back of my leg. I turn around to see their dog which up to that point had been completely docile bearing fangs and right up on me. It took a few seconds for me to realize I'd just been bitten by their dog. He was vicious and I scrambled out of there as fas as possible. I sat on the bench and sexamined the wound and immediately knew I had a problem. He had broken the skin which meant a trip to PCMO for post rabies prophelaxis shots. That's what I dreaded. I didn't want to go and I didn't know how to get there.

Medical said they wanted me there right away. In a coutnry where time is slower and transportation an issue that is a lot harder than it would seem. Nevertheless I packed a bag while trying to remember what I needed and still forgetting tons and set out to tell my family. Alas, they're no where to be found and so I leave a message for them. My first lef of the trip invovles flaging down a ride to the city. That's quickly accomplished although another guy from the village comes with me and he knows I'm one the Kyrgyz volunteers. He begins to talk to me and I understand about 1/3 of what he says. Yet, the entire time I'm thinking, "Just stop talking to me." 30 minutes later we part ways and now I'm faced wit hthe task fo transport to the capital. After some negotiation and translation of Russian into Kyrgyz I head out... four hours after the initial bite. Ha!

Now suddenly I'm faced with the task of getting to the office. WIth the help of the wonderful K-15s and the bus driver I get off on the right street. I got turned around only once and 30 minutes later I find myself at the PC office having just walked through a beautiful park filled street and talking with another stressed filled volunteer. At 4:45pm I finally arrive at medical where the wound is cleaned, sterilized and treated and I'm given the first of 2 PEP shots. I then have to find the hotel and a food place on my own while it's getting dark and I'm totally sticking out like a foreigner. I find some food and wait for my marshuka. It arrive and I cram onto it and get funny looks because I'm speaking Kyrgyz and everyone thought I would speak Russian. A dozen or so more people then cram onto the bus and we continue to head out. All the while I'm trying to hold onto my bag and avoid being pickpocketed. 20-30 minutes later I get to the hotel, check in and drop onto the bed. Safe and sound.

A nice hot shower later (the one really good perk) and I'm finally able to sit down, relax and look back. What a day! So all in all a dog bit provides a few perks, an interesting story and some major additional stress.


Anonymous said...

All I can say it that you are amazing. Through all of this you perserverd and found good things along the way.

I pray for quick healing and continued safety.

I love you sweetheart.


ネイト said...

haha! oh man... the joy of international living! I'm glad you're well and I hope you kicked the dog :P